Re: Debian training and code review

On Sep 16, 2010, at 03:47, Raphael Geissert wrote:

> Lars Wirzenius wrote:
>> This reminds me: it would be good to improve not just the quality of our
>> packages, but our developers.
>
> I wholeheartedly agree.
>
>> Developing a Linux distribution involves a lot of skills, and stuff
>> keeps changing all the time. It would perhaps be a good idea to have
>> training sessions within Debian.

I think this is a fine idea. I would like to take that training and I would like to be able to even train others with what I know.

> I'm not quite sure how feasible would that be, but something needs to be
> done. Plenty of "simple" and easy to fix bugs could be prevented by
> educating people [1]. Examples of those are bashisms and a wide range of
> security vulnerabilities (that don't involve logic errors.)
>
> [1] In the best, non-degrading, sense of the phrase.
>
>> At the moment, pretty much all training is handled by each developer
>> themselves: they read documentation, or source, and experiment with
>> things. They might write some blog posts, or mail a list, or something.
>> This often works, but I'm sure we can do better.
>
> It's been a few weeks since I started writing the drafts of some blog posts
> about multiple different things.
>
> Random though: we could encourage people to write about different topics,
> post them to a wiki page (wiki.d.o/education/<topic>/<sub-topic if
> necessary>) and then post it on a blog that is syndicated by planet (a
> personal blog should be enough, a persistent copy would be at the wiki
> anyway.)

I think this is a great idea. I also think perhaps we could have IRC sessions where people could learn various things, perhaps ranging from packaging to system administration to using the BTS effectively, etc.

Jeremiah