Re: DEP5: non-DFSG repackaging documentation

Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> writes:

> Dev-ref §6.7.8.2 recommends that if you have to repackage the original
> source, that the transformations that are performed be recorded in
> debian/copyright. While there was recently some discussion on d-devel
> about whether repackaging just to remove distributable-but-not-dfsg-free
> material was worth it or not, the case where a source tarball contains
> non-distributable material still must be dealt with. A field to express
> what was done would thus fit well with this recommendation. Further
> discussion as to whether it should/could be a find -delete command, a
> "see README.Debian-source" comment or some simple description of what
> was done (e.g. "copy of rfc removed") is sensible. What was done as well
> as why it was done should probably be included.

> My opinions:

> - if the transformation can be expressed as a script, use "debian/rules
> get-orig-source"

There should still be an explanation in debian/copyright of what that
script does, since that's the Policy-required location for specifying
where the upstream source came from.

> - otherwise, debian/README.Source seems like a better place to document
> this than debian/copyright, since it has other instructions for creating
> the source package, too

> Thus I would prefer it if DEP5 was silent on this, and Dev-ref would be
> changed to point to get-orig-source and README.Source instead.

I object to this change unless Policy is also changed to specify
README.source as the location for documenting where the upstream source
came from instead of debian/copyright.  As long as debian/copyright is the
location where that should be specified, the repacking should be
documented there as well, IMO.