Re: DEP5: non-DFSG repackaging documentation

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 06:05:12PM +0100, Lars Wirzenius wrote:
On ma, 2010-09-13 at 16:58 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
It makes good sense to me that we (continue to) track stripped files at the same place as distributed files.

On the other hand, I don't see the point of using debian/copyright to document copyright information of files that are not part of the source package.

Isn't it already mandatory to document if upstream source has been manipulated as part of our redistribution?

DEP5 should IMO cover what is mandatory to put in that file anyway, and not invent any new things to put there.

So if you argue against Policy, then please let's not discuss that here where only those interested in DEP5 is following.

Similarly, if I argue against Policy, then I rest my case :-)

Currently I maintain 2 lists of stripped files: in debian/copyright (where the - most often legal - reason is needed) and debian/rules (for use by the get-orig-source rule). Moving the information to debian/README.source would loose the ability to use it in scripts.

Like I said, if it is scripted, I believe it belongs in debian/rules, and only there. If it isn't scripted. README.source seems to me to be ideal.

Oh, you did argue to use debian/rules. Sorry, I missed that! Fair point - and what CDBS does today, so less work for me :-)

If we do put the stripping information into debian/copyright, can someone please suggest a concrete way to actually do that? What is actually needed to implement the stripping automatically in get-orig-source?

Like this (inspired by current ghostscript packaging):

Files-Stripped: ./Resource/CMap/Identity-UTF16-H,
 ./Resource/CMap/Identity-UTF16-V,
Files-Stripped-Reason: non-DFSG license limited to verbatim copying

Files-Stripped: ./expat/*,
 ./jasper/*,
 ./jbig2dec/*,
 ./libpng/*,
 ./tiff/*,
 ./zlib/*
Files-Stripped-Reason: unused sources complicating reliable build process

Regards,

 - Jonas