Re: DEP5: non-DFSG repackaging documentation

* Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> [100913 19:05]:
> On ma, 2010-09-13 at 16:58 +0200, Jonas Smedegaard wrote:
> > It makes good sense to me that we (continue to) track stripped files at
> > the same place as distributed files.
>
> On the other hand, I don't see the point of using debian/copyright to
> document copyright information of files that are not part of the source
> package.

As I think debian/copyright is the right place to document that the
source was repacked[1], I think it makes also sense to say there how
and perhaps why it was repacked.

	Bernhard R. Link

[1] Policy currently says:
"In addition, the copyright file must say where the upstream sources (if any) were
obtained."
I personally understand this as "Tell me where you got that .orig.tar
file from".