Re: Debian accepting Social Micropayment?

On 08/17/2010 09:22 PM, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, Steffen Möller wrote:
>> there is a new advent on the Internet horizon which is the social
>> micropayment. Regular web users pay in some money and distribute that
>> with respect to their clicks in the web. I feel that Debian should
>> somehow participate with that, i.e. we should have links whenever we
>> display a package in the bts or in the pts, that allows the user to
>> "flattr" or otherwise support that package. The amount collected should
>> then go to upstream. Maybe we should not do this for all packages but
>> only when upstream asks for it.
>
> I don't think we should do that.
>
> But Debian might want to use Flattr to collect donations of Flattr users
> (but those donations would be for Debian itself). See thread on
> debian-www:
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-www/2010/07/threads.html#00086

Thank you for the pointer. So, let's go and have the SPI also feature
an offer to use flattr. What is needed for that - nothing, right?
They should just no have any currency conversion loss, if avoidable.

> We should not put Flattr buttons everywhere, only in the usual donation
> page.
>
> That said I plan to write a software that scans the installed packages,
> and propose to flattr the corresponding upstream projects that are using
> Flattr. This would be a part of the Flattr Foss project
> (http://raphaelhertzog.com/flattr-foss/).

I like it. It may be a better solution, indeed.

Steffen