Re: Debian accepting Social Micropayment?

On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, Steffen Möller wrote:
> there is a new advent on the Internet horizon which is the social
> micropayment. Regular web users pay in some money and distribute that
> with respect to their clicks in the web. I feel that Debian should
> somehow participate with that, i.e. we should have links whenever we
> display a package in the bts or in the pts, that allows the user to
> "flattr" or otherwise support that package. The amount collected should
> then go to upstream. Maybe we should not do this for all packages but
> only when upstream asks for it.

I don't think we should do that.

But Debian might want to use Flattr to collect donations of Flattr users
(but those donations would be for Debian itself). See thread on

We should not put Flattr buttons everywhere, only in the usual donation

That said I plan to write a software that scans the installed packages,
and propose to flattr the corresponding upstream projects that are using
Flattr. This would be a part of the Flattr Foss project

Raphaël Hertzog ◈ Debian Developer ◈ [Flattr=20693]

                      ▶ http://RaphaelHertzog.fr (Français)