Re: buildd/porter/maintainer roles again

On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 02:50:03PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Tue, 13 Jul 2010, Aurelien Jarno wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 13, 2010 at 02:27:42PM -0700, Don Armstrong wrote:
> > > If porters would like psuedopackages for their architecture to
> > > track requests, that can be arranged. [Y'all just need to ask,
> > > point me at some bugs which should be assigned to them, tell me
> > > the maintainer address, and provide the blurb that goes on
> > > http://www.debian.org/Bugs/pseudo-packages.]
> >
> > While I agree it should go through the BTS, I am not sure
> > pseudo-packages are the best for that. In most cases fixing a
> > porting issue is not the responsibility of the maintainer nor the
> > porter, but both together. With pseudo-packages it will end-up as
> > bugs reassigned to the pseudo-packages (to the porters), with the
> > maintainers being satisfied of having one bug less to care.
>
> You can reassign bugs to multiple packages or use affects to indicate
> that a bug affects multiple packages, so this isn't really a problem.

What we really need here is the push method. If the information arrives
directly on the porter mailing list it might be taken into account. With
the pull method where people have to regularly fetch the information, it
never works.

While what your offer probably answers to this problem, I would be more
happy with something based on tags as it is already for the security
bugs. OTOH I don't know about the internals and haven't thought in
details about the advantages and drawbacks of each method. I would
already be happy with pseudo packages.

> That said, whatever way porters want to keep track of bugs which
> maintainers need assistance with is fine by me. It's even fine if
> different architectures choose different methods.

I think on the contrary that we should have the same and easy method
on all architectures, so that we can have this method recorded somewhere
for package maintainers. If we have different and complex methods (like
we already have with a few user tags for some architecture), people
never apply them.

--
Aurelien Jarno	                        GPG: 1024D/F1BCDB73