Re: The role of debian-private

On Wed, Jun 09, 2010 at 04:52:42PM +0200, Giacomo A. Catenazzi wrote:
> Personally I like also that "debian-private" carries strong personal
> opinion (instead of public mailing list).

I don't think I'm able to interpret the above properly.  If that is to
mean that on -private you don't need to be respectful of others (as we
are supposed to be on other public mailing list), then I firmly
disagree.

I'm not saying that you said that, but I think the above sentence is a
bit slippery in that respect.

> We know each others and we know how to interpret the messages

That too is an argument that I personally don't like: we don't know each
other any better on -private than we do on public lists. Keep in mind
that lots of DDs have never met each other in person even if they share
the status of being DDs. So, please avoid making the assumption that
even if you write something in a bad/emotional way, it will be taken in
a good way; "be conservative in what you do, be liberal in what you
accept from others" applies pretty well to mails and can prevent tons of
flames, on -private as anywhere else.

Cheers.