Re: Squeeze, firmware and installation

On 05/10/2010 01:50 AM, Paul Wise wrote:
> On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 3:01 AM, Bernd Zeimetz <bernd@bzed.de> wrote:
>
>> Right. It works, but it is an annoying extra step to do. And I had more than one
>> customer asking me why Debian is forcing them to do such an extra step and why
>> they should not just use Ubuntu.
>
> Tell them to blame their hardware vendor for not releasing the
> firmware as free software. It is rare to see that, but it does happen:
>
> http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Drivers/ar9170.fw
> http://packages.debian.org/sid/all/firmware-linux-free/filelist

Using only 'free' software might make them happier, but the first thing people
look for is less pain in the ass while installing and maintaining a system. We
are not in a perfect world unfortunately, so blaming the hardware vendor is not
the first option people choose. Using a just working installer is the option.

 GPG Fingerprints: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79
                   ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F