Re: Squeeze, firmware and installation

On 05/06/2010 07:22 PM, Stefano Zacchiroli wrote:
> On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 11:26:55PM +0200, Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
>> I can't see a reason why we should not be able to ship cd-images in
>> "non-free".
>
> What do you exactly mean by that?
> I can imagine at least two different interpretations of it:
>
> 1) Having different CD image sets: some sets containing only free
>    firmware, some others containing also the non-free firmware
>
>    (It seems that you meant this one, but notice that it will induce a
>     new choice point in the current CD creation work-flow.)

I thought about this option, clearly marking them as "not part of Debian" as we
do it for non-free.

> 2) Having the non-free firmware in the regular CD image sets; firmware
>    which is not loaded by default, but that can be selectively enabled
>    by the user, pretty much as users can now enable "non-free" in
>    sources.list to get non-free packages from the "Internet media" (to
>    be compared with the "CD media").

Sounds like the better option, at least for the firmware which is necessary to
make the network interface work. Everything else could be downloaded later by
showing the user a dialog like 'you need this non-free firmware stuff, which is
not part of debian, but we have it right here for you... do you want it?'

 GPG Fingerprints: 06C8 C9A2 EAAD E37E 5B2C BE93 067A AD04 C93B FF79
                   ECA1 E3F2 8E11 2432 D485 DD95 EB36 171A 6FF9 435F