Re: Squeeze, firmware and installation

On Wed, May 05, 2010 at 09:57:46PM +0300, Arto Jantunen wrote:

> Hmm. Is the release already so close that it's time to have this
> flamewar again? Shouldn't we wait a month or two for maximal effect?

I think the earlier we have this discussion the better.

> Seriously speaking, to me it seems very clear that non-free firmware
> will not be present on official installer images. Then again, the
> installer team has made it very easy to inject firmware during
> installation on machines where it's needed.

I've heard people complain about how the (lenny?) installer works,
and I didn't have the need to install on a machine that requires
firmware yet myself.  I think the issues I've heard were:
- You need 2 installation media.  Which also makes an unattended
  installation harder or impossible.
- It didn't find the firmware or didn't look at the usb disk
  that was plugged in or simular.

Maybe it would be helpful if something from the installer team
could describe how it's supposed to work now and what the state
is.

I think their clearly will be a need to create media which has
the firmware on it.  The current manual points to an "unofficial"
part of cdimage.debian.org to get the latest firmware and says
that some might be missing and that you'd need to get it from
non-free without much instructions on what to do with it.

Kurt