Re: Let's resurrect Debian Weekly News (act the second)

Hi Marga!

Margarita Manterola schrieb:

As you might remember, we once had a weekly newsletter informing our
users and our fellow developers, what was going on in the "Debian
Universe". [..]
Currently, there's http://news.debian.net, which does not have _all_
the info that the DWN used to have, but it's doing a good job of
listing a lot of interesting stuff.

I know of news.debian.net and I appreciate what Ana is doing there. However, news.debian.net is not a replacement for the DWN/DPN. I don't make that up, but got told so by many people, e.g. during the CeBIT.

Keeping up with the news is a lot of work, and there's usually not
enough people to do it. It doesn't make sense to do the work twice.
Why not work together with Ana into making this website and the DWN
newsletter two ways of accessing the same information?

I know that a blog is not the same thing as a weekly (or bimonthly)
newsletter, but I'm sure that a workflow that avoids doing the same
task twice can be worked out, and it would be a benefit for everyone
involved.

I'm open for collaboration, but I'm not sure what's possible there. AFAIK news.debian.net uses wordpress, which I'm not at all familiar with, so can't tell how it's possible to e.g. get translation integrated there. But let's assume, that all that could be done (and to make me happy: It's possible without using a web interface ;) I still see differences in the stile.

A blog is more or less a real time media: Something happens and soon after that it should be mentioned there. The newsletter has the luxury to wait a bit longer, and also show the outcome of a discussion. Take for example the DPL elections. We have some nominations, we have some platforms, rebutals, campaing period with lot's of questions and "side discussions". Much of it is worth to be mentioned in a "real time" media, but can be summarised for a media with longer publishing intervals.

So, unless someone comes up with a good idea on how to solve the technical issues and the different content stile issues, I don't know much areas to work together.

Best regards,
  Alexander