Re: Question in respect to GNU/Lnux affiliation

On Sun, Mar 14, 2010 at 3:20 PM, The Hickeys <hickeys@nbnet.nb.ca> wrote:

> How come the GNU/Linux site does not have Debian on its free distribution list, and makes no mention of Debian at all it seems? Is this because Debian does not adhere to the GNU/Linux "Free Software Definition"?
>
> Thanks,
> Greg H.

Hey,

See here: http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/common-distros.html

Quote:

"Debian

Debian's Social Contract does say that all software in the main
distribution will be free software. Unfortunately, that's not always
true in practice. Debian has repeatedly made tacit or explicit
exceptions for specific pieces of nonfree software, such as the blobs
included in or accompanying Linux. We're still hopeful that there
won't be such exceptions in the future, but we can't turn a blind eye
to the situation as it stands today.

Debian also provides a repository of nonfree software. According to
the project, this software is “not part of the Debian system.” We
understand that's important for organizational reasons, but users
would be hard-pressed to make a distinction. The nonfree repositories
are often featured as prominently as the main ones throughout Debian's
web site, documentation, and other materials."

Regards,

Angus.