Google Summer of Code 2010 at Debian about to kick off

Hi all!

The Google Summer of Code[1] is about to kick off for 2010 soon and Debian has
of course applied for the 5th consecutive year. This is a great thing for the
people of Debian and thousand of students so I'd like you to know what's in it
for you and how you can be involved.

What does the Summer of Code mean for Debian anyway? The program is a unique
opportunity for Debian and eager to learn students to meet each other and work
together for the duration of a summer. Often this has been the beginning of a
great relation, bringing fresh ideas and enthusiasm to the Project.

The clock is ticking, though. According to the timeline[2] for this year's
program, we will only have a few days to get set up and ready. The Zerg Rush^W^W
publication of the selected organisations will happen this next Thursday, 18th
March, and students will be pouring in to look for projects at Debian.

Like every year, we've set up a section on the Debian wiki at the following
address: http://wiki.debian.org/gsoc
They will be looking at these pages for project ideas, in particular the
following: http://wiki.debian.org/SummerOfCode2010/Applying

Debian Developers, we need you to think hard and come up with good and
interesting project ideas for our prospective students, go to the wiki and
add them to the list. We also look forward to having you volunteer to act as
admin or mentor during the summer. Read instructions available on the wiki page
and contact us (see below).

If you're a student hoping to work on Debian this summer in the Summer of Code,
please get in contact with us (see below) to talk about project ideas, either
what we already have listed or your own. It's in everybody's interests to work
on applications as early as possible before the deadline closes to improve their
chances of acceptance.

Again, the link with all informations:
  http://wiki.debian.org/gsoc

Come meet us at:
- - the debian-soc mailing list[3]
- - on IRC (irc.debian.org, #debian-soc)

Good luck to all involved; may all your code be merged in Squeeze!
(does this sound familiar?)

Obey Arthur Liu
on behalf of the Google Summer of Code team

[1] http://code.google.com/soc/
[2] http://socghop.appspot.com/document/show/gsoc_program/google/gsoc2010/timeline