Re: dpkg feature implementation

On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 01:55:34PM +0530, dE . wrote:
> Hello everyone.
>
> Since dpkg is originally a part of Debian, I thought why not give this
> advice here. I think this advice has been talked about quiet a lot,
> but I did not find any except one, so decided to report it.
>
> A problem comes for people who apparently think that Debian based
> distributions or Linux in general is useless when it comes to software
> installation without the internet. Well...yes, software installation
> can be done offline with apt, but it's not easy compared to the system
> that windows has set up.

Are you aware of this:
apt-offline can fully update and upgrade an APT based distribution
without connecting to the network, all of it transparent to apt
http://packages.debian.org/squeeze/apt-offline

About the super deb package, seems those would need to be very huge
packages, if indeed all dependencies were included. Adding suggested
and proposed packages would make them even bigger.

Users with no Internet can install from CD-disks and then use something
like apt-offline to get the needed update packages.

--
Tapio Lehtonen
tapio.lehtonen@iki.fi