Re: let's add news.debian.net to planet.d.o (!?)

Thanks for the suggestions Michael. They do not go too much in the line of
what I try to do in news.d.n. Let me explain you why.

On Fri, Dec 18, 2009 at 11:05:46AM +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
> hand) which Ana might want to consider:
>
> 1. Some (informal) posts are quoted too much in direct speech; I think
> it would be better to rewrite them editorially like e.g. LWN does.

This current style is on purpose, highlighting what is going on, straight
to the point. If you want to know more, you will have to make your own
opinion following the links.

> 2. I think the list of new packages is not very useful due to volume; I
> think it would make sense to trim down the list to only important
> packages and/or combine similar packages (different -plugins for the
> same base package for example) to one.  However, the really important
> uploads are covered elsewhere anyway, so I just ignore those posts for
> now.

What are the important packages is something subjective. I like listing them
all then readers can browse the list quickly (or ignore as you do) and read
the ITPs you are interested on.
BTW, you can subscribe to the feed filtering out the categories you are not
interested on. I will try to write a post about this soon.

The purpose of news is highlight what is going on. Do not expect it to become
more "professional", neither expect it growing more (*) reaching something to
the level of the old DWN. The format is very different to the DWN, and also
joey was dedicating to DWN a day per week (I did read this somewhere) while
I only dedicate to news.d.n ~2h per week.

(*) unless somebody joins

> Note that Ubuntu has a planet-like service called the Fridge which
> aggregates several non-personal blogs (AIUI), maybe Debian could do the
> same (under a different title), and aggregate the non-personal blogs
> currently on Planet Debian (AFAIK, loldebian, Debconf, DSA, now Debian
> News) and possibly others (e.g. somebody could volunteer to write a
> one-paragraph summary of every d-d-a post which gets syndicated along
> with the link to the full post on the new service)

Ubuntu's fridge [1] was one of my sources of inspiration for news.d.n.
It does not aggregate just re-post some mails/blog-posts and point you to
discuss them in the Ubuntu forums. For news.d.n, I do not like re-posting
blog posts/ mails and send the discussion somewhere else, stuff should be
discussed in the original source: in the mailing lists or in the original
blog post.

About the non-personal planet-service maybe it is a good idea if you open a
new thread.

Ana
[1] http://fridge.ubuntu.com