Re: Acceptable license restrictions for Non-Free sofware included in Web software package?

On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 10:17:12PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> also sprach Steve Langasek <vorlon@debian.org> [2009.11.18.2201 +0100]:
> > On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 05:09:56PM +0100, martin f krafft wrote:
> > > Yes, the security FAQ addresses the non-free issue. This doesn't
> > > make the situation any more desirable. At least not for me.

> > But that's not what you expressed in your mail, which could have
> > been (and probably was) taken as an authoritative statement on
> > behalf of the project.

> Those who disagree can make similarly "authoritative" statements in
> the opposite direction.

No, then we would have *two* people misrepresenting themselves as speaking
on behalf of the project, further confusing and frustrating outsiders who
are trying to get a straight answer from us.  The fix is to not put words in
the project's mouth to begin with.

There's nothing wrong with asking non-Debian folks who've contacted our
lists to take particular viewpoints into consideration, or explaining our
actual policies.  But asserting that things are requirements when they
actually aren't is not ok.