Re: Acceptable license restrictions for Non-Free sofware included in Web software package?

also sprach Haakon Flage Bratsberg <haakon.bratsberg@opera.com> [2009.11.18.1300 +0100]:
> Opera Software is investigating whether we should change our
> distribution policy to allow redistribution of our Opera Desktop web
> browser.
>
> We appreciate any advice on what you regard as acceptable license
> restriction for being included as No-Free software in your web
> software package <http://packages.debian.org/stable/web/>.

To get the software into non-free, we'd need you to commit to
security support of the stable version throughout the lifetime of
our stable release. This would make us dependent on you, and put our
users at risk because we'd have to way to maintain/support your
closed-source software in case you lose interest in or can no longer
allocate resources to maintaining an old version.

If you'd release the source code under a Free licence and provided
security support, I guarantee we'd distribute it for you to
thousands of users.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <madduck@d.o>      Related projects:
: :'  :  proud Debian developer               http://debiansystem.info