Re: squeeze release cycle?

On Mon, 09 Nov 2009, Russ Allbery wrote:
> So, there was a long discussion here after Debconf about the merits or
> lack thereof of a freeze date at the end of this year for a squeeze
> release early next year.  My general feeling of the discussion was that
> there was a fair bit of opposition to freezing and releasing so quickly
> after lenny, but since that's also my personal opinion, I may be
> misreading the discussion.  Either way, where I think we left that
> discussion was with a statement that no decision had been made and the
> release team and others were going to think about this and provide more
> information later.

Indeed, we lack a clear vision again. madduck's email on -release have
also been unanswered:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2009/10/msg00239.html
http://lists.debian.org/debian-release/2009/11/msg00022.html

Luk proposed a new freeze date of march 2010:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-devel-announce/2009/10/msg00002.html

But indeed it's only a proposal at this point. The release team needs
to set a date in stone now.

I'm fine with the freeze in march and it would not be too far
from the Ubuntu freeze in february so that it would still make some sense
wrt cooperation with Ubuntu.

I also agree that we need to confirm the principle of fixed freeze date
but I don't mind if we decide to freeze in fall in general and that we do
it on march just this time.

Cheers,
--
Raphaël Hertzog