Re: Debian money

Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:
> Charles Plessy <plessy@debian.org> writes:
> > [...] but Debian could support companies started by its developers
> > to make a living of their Debian-related activities, by contributing to
> > their capital.  [...]
>
> We can't do that with moneys collected in the United States under the
> aegis of Software in the Public Interest.  It would jeopardize the
> non-profit status of SPI.  Non-profit charities are not permitted to make
> investments in for-profit businesses.

Are they permitted to make loans?

There are some non-charities like Debian-UK holding debian funds which
would not be restricted in that way, but I think it would be rather
out of character for debian to take a position of supporting
capitalism in this direct way.  It would risks detaching the project
from the users who appreciate it being neutral on many "off-topic"
issues, as well as those who are politically opposed to the money
trick.

Is there really demand for investment from such a complicated project?

Regards,
--
MJR/slef