Re: DEP-5: query about possible inheritence of License:

On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 11:15:57PM +0100, Jon Dowland wrote:
> A closer reading of the DEP-5 wording clears this up for me:

> 	However it makes for easier reading if the copyright
> 	file lists the “main” license first: the one matching
> 	the “top level” of the work, with others listed as
> 	exceptions. To allow this, the following precedence rule
> 	applies for matching files: If multiple Files
> 	declarations match the same file, then only the last
> 	match counts.

> So as it stands, no inheritance is possible, and every
> Files: line must be accompanied by a Copyright: and a
> License: line.

IMHO this is preferable for the sake of simplicity - it's easier on the
parser (including the various wetware parsers that will be deployed :), and
also easier to consistently output.  And I think it will be less error-prone
in the event that, say, the main upstream copyright holders decide to
relicense their work, since the maintainer doesn't have to remember to /add/
a license field for files /not/ being relicensed by their authors.

Cheers,