Re: Debian money

MJ Ray <mjr@phonecoop.coop> writes:
> Russ Allbery <rra@debian.org> wrote:

>> We can't do that with moneys collected in the United States under the
>> aegis of Software in the Public Interest.  It would jeopardize the
>> non-profit status of SPI.  Non-profit charities are not permitted to
>> make investments in for-profit businesses.

> Are they permitted to make loans?

I would be very hesitant to say without the advise of a good non-profit
accountant or lawyer.  This is very dangerous territory for a non-profit
in the US.

For example, it's common for the fund management arm of a university with
a large endowment to be a somewhat separate legal entity with a strong
firewall between it and university management to ensure that its
investment activities in managing the endowment don't affect the
non-profit status of the university.  And that's a non-profit educational
institution, which is under somewhat fewer restrictions as I understand it
than a non-profit charity.