Re: Switching the default startup method

> On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 08:38:21AM +0200, Andreas Barth wrote:
>> And that is a statement that I heavily disagree with. I think neither
>> our users nor our developers at large considers that a feature, but
>> rather a very grave bug.
> I don't presume to know what the majority of developers think about this,
> but *I* think the traditional sysv-rc boot system is broken beyond
> repair.

While I agree that a dependency-based init is clearly superior to the
normal symlink farms and file-rc, I don't presume I know all possible
use cases well enough to decide that forcing people to migrate away from
their current setup is the best solution.

There is no good reason to break non-insserv setups, and it is not hard
to allow other configurations to live on - just moving insserv to
recommends would do the job! We have supported regular sysv-rc and
file-rc for years, why should we just stop now?

Marc
--
BOFH #95:
Pentium FDIV bug