Re: Switching the default startup method

Bernd Zeimetz wrote:
> Raphael Geissert wrote:
>>> #475478 insserv: uninstallation fails horribly if an init script has
>>> been removed.
>> [...]
>>> #538959 needs actually to be worked on. The current state is not how
>>> it should be.
>> (which you later said it should be #511753)
>> These two only seem to occur when insserv is removed, and since it is now
>> pseudo-essential that should never happen, IOW: IMO they are not grave (I
>> do agree that they should be addressed, though).
> Wrong. People who want to switch away from sys-rc/insserv need to be able to
> remove it. It is grave.

For (semi-)essential packages there is no guarantee that removing will
be easy. I know of quite some essential packages that are not easy to
remove at all.

Switching away from sysv-rc is apparently possible as Phil is using
upstart with insserv.

It's quite true that removing should be made optional if possible,
though that does not seem grave to me.