Re: Referring to product's web site in description?

Tollef Fog Heen <tfheen@err.no> writes:

> I'm packaging yubikey-personalization, a tool used to set the crypto
> keys for Yubikeys, which are OTP hardware tokens.  The tool is useless
> without a token, so I'm wondering if I should put a reference into the
> description for where people can read more about the tokens and possibly
> purchase one.  http://www.yubico.com/products/yubikey/ is the link I'd
> put in.
>
> Does people think that would be too much?  I'm divided on the issue --
> on one hand, I don't want Debian to end up plastered with ads, on the
> other hand, the tool is not useful without a token, so pointing people
> to where they can get one sounds reasonable.

I think that's a job, not for the Debian package information, but for
the project's home page. The package description should give enough
information for the reader to understand whether they want the package
on their system.

The job of the ‘Homepage’ field is to point to the WWW home page *of the
software work*, specifically. Is there such a page for this work?

--
 \         “If you can do no good, at least do no harm.” —_Slapstick_, |
  `\                                                     Kurt Vonnegut |