Re: On cadence and collaboration

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 08:42:03PM +0200, Julien BLACHE wrote:

>I think we'll lose part of the "we release when it's ready" philosophy
>(that our RMs seem to despise so much). Because part of this is to
>freeze when it's ready.

If you don't have an idea of what to target for your release (or when
to target your release), then the release doesn't actually
happen. We've seen that happen in the past. The Etch and Lenny release
cycles worked OK for us and were specifically aimed at 18-24
schedules. Or would you claim that they weren't ready?

Freezing to a schedule will still give us all the control we need in
terms of actually stabilising for release.

>A time-based freeze could mean for some teams that they'll have to
>stop work basically for months to a year.

Exaggeration, -1.

We don't need no education.
We don't need no thought control.