Re: On cadence and collaboration

Hi Mark,

I apologize if this was already said somewhere; somehow I've got lost in
this hundreds of mails... :)

On Wed, Aug 05, 2009 at 03:48:06PM +0100, Mark Shuttleworth wrote:
> No, as I wrote separately, this is more about signalling an emerging cadence
> across multiple distributions. For many reasons, it's easier for more
> commercial organisations to plan in years, and the proposal from the Debian
> release team happens to make that work well.
[...]
> Mandriva would be a likely candidate to participate as well. And I think SUSE
> could be convinced if we can get past this debate, too.

I understand you've been talking to other distributions as well about
syncing releases (or freezes) in order to ship same versions of major
system components. Now, much of the discussion here is about the actual
dates, i.e. the possible freeze in a few month as well as freezing in
the end of odd years to release in spring of even years. This idea seems
to fit best to your (ubuntu's) current release cycle and I feel many
Debian contributors see there your (inacceptable?) influence on Debian.

I'm interested in the reactions of other distributions. Are they likely
to change their release cycle to fit yours? Or would you be willing to
change Ubuntu's release dates if SuSE proposed LTS releases to come out
in odd years or similar?

Hauke