Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Tue, Aug 04, 2009 at 08:57:50AM +0200, Patrick Schoenfeld wrote:
> Of course it would be nicer if patches were reported automatically to us.

This is by no means a universally held view within Debian.  The current
approach of only pushing patches to Debian maintainers as manual bug
reports is a result of public discussion several years ago on debian-devel
(or debian-project), in which a number of developers objected to the idea of
receiving automatic mails every time Ubuntu made a change on the grounds
that this would generate lots of unwelcome noise.

If you prefer to be automatically notified about all changes in Ubuntu, I
believe the PTS gives you an option to do this by subscribing to the
'derivatives' keyword.  For my part, as a Debian maintainer I greatly prefer
receiving bug reports with Ubuntu patches because I find the signal-to-noise
is much better when you have a person to talk to instead of trying to
extract meaning from a changelog alone.