Re: Debian redesign

On 01-08-2009 13:38, *** pxlgirl *** wrote:
[...]
> 1. Logo
> The current swirl has many details that make it hard to print on smaller
> media and even vectors would not solve the problem. The current font is
> non-free and would rather fit advertise a box of cigarettes than a
> software project.

	I beg to differ.  I had no problems printing the current logo
on business cards, stickers with the size of business cards and pins
with 2cm of diameter.  To be honest, most of the Debian products we
have been producing in Brazil in the last 5 years found no problems
with the suppliers regarding the details of Debian's logo, some of the
things we made so far includes caps, pins, buttons, two different
types of backpacks, t-shirts, CDs/DVDs (and its covers), stickers of
various sizes and different types of use.

	Our current logo's font is [1]Poppl Laudatio Condensed and
Berthold sells under different types of licensing, including World
Wide licenses.  There seems to be some different "free alternatives"
like LaudatioC, but I would say that we can use the same idea gave
during the talk about "Debian redesign" and implement a free
alternative for it. (Or somebody can wonder how much would cost a
World Wide license :)

  1. http://www.bertholdtypes.com/bq_library/90090.html

	I would also tend to say that different people would have
different preferences regarding the use of fonts, either for a box
of cigarettes or for a software project.

	Our current logo holds two different versions,one for Open
Use and another for Official Use, and it is still unclear if the
logo change would _really_ have a positive impact on our "brand".
The swirl of the Official Logo is a simplified version and is also
used by many of us, that could be an option when one need a
simplified swirl.

> The swirl-i-dot for the new logo was inspired by the Genie-Lamp, with a
> simplified swirl to keep the recognition factor. Since a swirl is quite
> common in logos, I had to put it in a context with the font, so that it
> is seen as a whole. The font was chosen to point out a solidness,
> stability and timelessness to the project. Please note, that the swirl
> is only fixed to the word "debian", its position can be changed with
> words like "debconf" easily.

	But it seems that wouldn't be possible to "detach" it from
the debian text as we do with the current version of Open Use Logo.

[...]
> 3. Illustrations
>
> Keep in mind that the illustrations do not show "Debian people". For
> example, Illustration #3 (The one with the guy in the office) shows an
> ordinary worker, who's just glad that his boss installed Debian to do
> his work, so he can concentrate on other things. ;) If any boss or
> worker would see those illustrations, both would understand the
> metaphoric/symbolic message. Same applies to the other illustrations,
> they show situations or emotions around/about Debian, rather than
> showing the people behind it, except the illustration #6 with the bug
> fixing, which is based on the history of the term "bug" itself (I don't
> have to mention Wikipedia here, do I?).  Remember, a campaign does not
> target people from the inside, it is made for an audience. To find the
> right way to express a message, you have to see things with their point
> of view, not just use your own perception. You can't look into people's
> heads, but with some research, you'll be able to point out larger
> tendencies.

	Perhaps some "Debian people" would like to identify themselves
with the proposed campaign, even if they are not the target audience,
they are the people behind the project and, in certain way, signing the
message, after all, a lot of them gave a lot of their time to help the
project.

	I would say that any new campaign, be it to the outside public
or not, should take the feedback from "Debian people" into consideration
and incorporate possible changes to reflect a broader consensus, trying
to send the same message.

	It would be impossible to please all sorts of people but it is
probably possible to adopt different aspects to deal with different
concerns and still conveys a strong message.

> 4. Usage
> The corporate identity and the campaign are related to one project, but
> should be treated separately . Both would be used in two different
> contexts, one is the look and feel, the other would be the advertising.

	Thanks for clarifying this.  I would also say that the logo
change should be a third different thing, we can improve our look and
feel and release a marketing campaign without changing our logos.

> I am not going to subscribe on this list, if you have any further
> questions, mail me directly or catch me on IRC. :)

	As requested, you are cc:ed.

	I would just point that you should consider join debian-project
or another mail list to discuss such topics, that would make easier to
get feedback, propose new ideas and move on with the proposals.

	Thank you for your work.

Kind regards,
- --
Felipe Augusto van de Wiel (faw)