Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

There seem to be two quite different models about how synchronisation
of Debian and Ubuntu LTS is intended to work. I believe it would be
very helpful to know if there is any agreement with Ubuntu about this.

The two models as I can see them from the discussion so far:

Model 1:
Debian freezes in December
Debian developers concentrate on fixing RC bugs
Ubuntu developers concentrate on including newer versions of major
software packages
When the number of RC bugs in Debian is low enough Ubuntu freezes
Ubuntu and Debian release at approximately the same time
With this model Debian developers will bear the main burden of bug
fixing while Ubuntu will use the time to integrate newer software
packages.

Model 2:
Debian and Ubuntu freeze at the same time (December?)
Debian and Ubuntu developers coordinate in fixing RC bugs
Debian and Ubuntu release at about the same time
With this model the burden is shared and both operating system will be
at the same state with respect to the main components. Differences will
be according to different philosophy (questions asked by the installer,
components and configuration of a standard installation, what is "user
friendly"). There may be also differences in the versions of main
software packages, but this differences would be clear at freeze time
and due to different philosophy.

While I think model 2 could prove useful for Debian and Ubuntu I can't
see what Debian would gain from model 1. I believe this discussion
would look very different if Ubuntu says it agrees on model 2.

Werner Baumann