Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Thu, Jul 30 2009, Steve Langasek wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:07:58AM +0200, Marc Haber wrote:
>> > We'll keep our user base
>
>> That's what I doubt. Ubuntu LTS will be better than Debian stable in
>> all aspects, why should anybody continue using Debian stable?
>
> You believe that Debian, releasing with approximately the same set of
> packages as an Ubuntu LTS but with a requirement to only release when ready
> instead of releasing on a fixed schedule as Ubuntu LTS will, offers no
> relevant differentiation at all for users?

        If ubuntu freeze starts later than the Debian freeze, and if
 fixes to Ubuntu do not often migrate back to Debian, I do see it likely
 that ubuntu LTS, combined with interim Ubuntu release, will make Debian
 irrelevant in the eyes of the common public (like, not distro geeks).

        With that comes a falling user base, and with falling interest
 we  stop getting the creme de la creme of the developers (Oh, doubtless
 we'll keep getting people of second and third tier skills for a
 while).

> Doesn't this imply that everyone who continues using Debian today does
> so merely as an accident of the release schedule and the particular
> set of packages that land in a given Debian release?

        I am sure this is true of some portion of the user base.

> There seems to be an assumption here that Ubuntu would benefit from bugfixes
> from Debian developers, but that the reverse would not be true.  Is this
> what you believe?  Does that mean you don't think Ubuntu developers
> contribute fixes back to Debian today?

        Exactly.

        As I mentioned in another message; I spend far more time rebasing
 changes made in debian to feed upstream, using their BTS and mailing
 lists, and modifying and tweaking patches to their satisfaction; and I
 rarely see this in the 25+ packages I still maintain from Ubuntu
 (exception: SElinux related issues).

> While never committing to keep any given package in sync with Debian, Ubuntu
> developers certainly are actively engaged in pushing their changes upstream
> to Debian.

        So they seem to be targetting my packages not to push changes
 to?   kinda doubt that.

        manoj
--
A sinking ship gathers no moss. Donald Kaul