Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Thu, Jul 30, 2009 at 11:28:09AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 30/07/09 at 11:17 +0200, Didier 'OdyX' Raboud wrote:
> > It *might* be that losing relevance on the desktop side is of little
> > importance (which I believe it is _not_), but if corporate entities turn to
> > use Ubuntu LTS because <insert a bunch of valuable reasons> instead of
> > Debian stable, I fail to see how developers from these corporate entities
> > will contribute to Debian and not to Ubuntu.
>
> Seriously, do we just fear that synchronizing with Ubuntu will instantly
> remove all good reasons to use Debian? I'm a bit shocked that Debian
> developers seem to take for granted that the next Ubuntu LTS will be of
> better quality than Debian.

That depends on what you define as "better quality". Ubuntu LTS will
definetely look better than Debian in magazine tests (because the
installer looks better, doesn't ask any confusing questions and
immediately delivers a graphical desktop on the nVidia graphics card
that the test box has) and at distrowatch and its clones because it
has more current KDE and GNOME, and probably a later kernel.

> > In the end, synchronising Debian stable and Ubuntu LTS freezes will only
> > make Debian stable appear as weaker (no commercial support, older software,
> > not-so-greater stability, no longer support, less fancy) than Ubuntu LTS.
> > Why would _anybody_ reasonable (and outside of the cultural thing) choose
> > Debian stable over Ubuntu LTS ?
>
> If we can't provide an answer to that question, maybe we should make
> Debian a derivative distribution of Ubuntu? :-)

That's what we have just made a huge step towards. I mean, Mark
Shuttleworth already takes vital decisions for Debian and talks about
them to the press before Debian even knows.

Greetings
Marc

Nordisch by Nature |  How to make an American Quilt | Fax: *49 3221 2323190