Re: Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes

On Wed, Jul 29, 2009 at 09:14, Martin Wuertele<maxx@debian.org> wrote:
> * Sandro Tosi <morph@debian.org> [2009-07-29 07:39]:
>
>> > Debian decides to adopt time-based release freezes
>>
>> No, the project DID NOT decide it, the release team did, and the
>> project has to accept it; there's a lot of difference.
>
> No see 4.1.3 of the constitution "Make or override any decision
> authorised by the powers of the Project Leader or a Delegate."

of course, if we have to take formal steps for everything, we'll do a
GR. I hoped that in this project we can discuss ideas instead of
fight.

>> > Time-based freezes will allow the Debian Project to blend the
>> > predictability of time based releases with its well established policy of
>> > feature based releases. The new freeze policy will provide better
>> > predictability of releases for users of the Debian distribution, and also
>>
>> bullshit! we are trading quality for what? We release when it's ready,
>> not when the clock ticks. it's completely a non-sense, and it's
>> generating only bad feelings in developers and users.
>
> freeze != release, I'm not happy with the way the decision was
> communicated. I beg you to mind your wording tough.

I know it was unpolite, but it's the only way I can express my
feelings right now.

>> 1. what about the developers that couldn't come to DC? don't we
>> deserve to be asked for our opinion? are we of a lower class? is this
>> a decision only made by a team and then you want to us to pretend the
>> whole project decided it?
>
> It is a delegate decision according to 2.5 of the constitution.

so let's call it this way: not "Debian decided" but "a delegate
decided on behalf of the project", I think this clarifies what
happened.