Questions about present Gnome and the Linux kernel versions

Hi,

I'm a satisfied Debian user for almost a year now. But a week ago I tried Ubuntu 9.04 and I discovered the features of the 2.6.28 kernel and the features of Gnome 2.26 and I was impressed.

So my question is pretty straightforward; are there plans to introduce these two great enhancements into the Debian project? And if they are when can I expect them? I've tried to run Debian Squeeze but my system broke because of the unstable packages I guess.

--
Kind regards,
Kees de Jong