Re: DAM queues processing

On Wed, Jun 24, 2009 at 02:37:42PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> The FD's responsibility, as a 'New Maintainer Front Desk', is to
> ensure that the new maintainer process runs smoothly, and to take a
> bit of the grunt work off of the DAM. If stuff passes front desk,
> it's assumed that it'll pass DAM too, unless FD fucked up.
>
> However, the final decision of who gets to be a DD and who doesn't
> is not with FD; instead, that decision lies with the DAM. They have
> to make up their own mind.

I understand very well both this statements. My problem with the
situation they induces is that there seems to be some useless
bureaucracy in that, which I proposed to fix merging somehow the FD &
DAM roles [1].

Let me explain where I see too much bureaucracy. If, as you said,
"passing FD means passing DAM", can't we just skip DAM review if FD
say "OK"? Similarly, if FD says "no, there are still issues", can't we
just avoid passing the file to DAM whose time is precious?

De facto, that would mean delegating the acceptance role to FD; if
people are unease with that, just merge FD into DAM, have a larger DAM
team, with internal role distinctions about who is working on
acceptance new members.

A few concluding notes:

- I know that on paper FD is only in charge to check for the
  "completeness" of a report and not doing a review, but from what
  emerged in this thread by FD members, they de facto do reviews

- given that FD follow more closely applicants than DAM (which only
  notices them at the end of the process), they know better applicants
  and it is easier for them to do also the final review; (current) DAM
  should start from scratch when it receives the applicant file. It
  just sounds as dumb to me

Cheers.

[1] again: I'm not claiming that this will solve _all_ NM problems,
    far from that, but I think it is pretty easy and will get rid of
    some time wastes.