Re: DAM and NEW queues processing

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 06:26:02PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 23/06/09 at 17:10 +0200, Ana Guerrero wrote:
> > On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 04:45:10PM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> > > I've been advocating people "too early" (i.e, I've advocated people so
> > > that they could start NM, while in the meantime, I wouldn't have
> > > advocated them for DM). The reason is that the "unassigned applicants"
> > > list is huge, so, when considering whether you should advocate someone
> > > or not, you basically have to wonder whether the person will behave well
> > > when he gets an AM in 6 months.
> > >

> > I am surprised by this, it is you who set example in a blog post [1] that
> > when you are ready, at least the AM step is quick.
>
> Chris Lamb benefited from a lot of factors. He waiting a long time
> before applying, so he couldn't have been more ready to be a DD. He was
> assigned an AM after only a month of waiting, his AM was very active
> at the time and prioritized his NM process quite high, so he
> could do all the AM part in 1.5 month. So it only took him 2.5 month to
> go from applying to being AM-approved. Then he waited almost 2 months
> for FD approval, and another month for DAM approval. Which means:
> - time spending answering questions: 1.5 months
> - time spent waiting at various steps: 4.5 months

Yeah, clearly: good and motivated NM -> motivates AM -> quick process. Profit!
That was my point :-)

The other waiting times in NM are the next steps to solve. But solving the
"advocate too early" problem will make a significant first improvement.

FYI, since we are with the lamby process, it would have been 3 months instead
of 4 and half if his first advocate would have had a bit more of time for
writing his advocate email (I do understand him, lamby is so active, the mail
was not short). Lamby was waiting for almost 6 weeks that is the time you are
kicked out of NM if you do not have an advocate. Then I acted as "backup"
advocate because lamby was clearly ready.

> Also, the fact that if you are ready, the AM step is quick, doesn't mean
> that if you wait before starting the process, you become a DD earlier ;)

You can wait 2 years to apply for DD maintaining 2 packages and you can wait 6
months working 20 hours / week in Debian while working whithin 3 team.
Yes, time does not have nothing to do with this, *activity* does.

Ana