Re: DAM and NEW queues processing

On Tue, Jun 23, 2009 at 11:30:53AM +0200, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> Hi,
>
> For years, the DAM and NEW queues have been the major source of
> frustration in the Debian community. Several attempts have been made to
> improve the situation, but the problems have never been really solved so
> far. And the queues are again in a bad state.

First of all, I think you are trying to discuss here different issues that
should be solved independently. Some issues are related (NM/DM) but solving
ftp-master and possible licensing issues can be solved without reforming
NM and vice-versa.

NM process:

>  - the NM process could be reduced to 5 to 10 questions choosen by the
>    AM amongst the 50+ questions currently in the NM templates,

This *might* work if we solve what in my opinion is the main problem here:
DDs advocating too early. Actually, if the applicants are ready, they will
have few problems with their processes in the current format (it is normal
do not know a few questions, nobody knows everything) and it will be result
in a reduced exchange of emails: less time for AM, FD and DAM.

And we already have DM to avoid the frustration to not being able to upload
trivial packaging changes.
Now DM has been here for some time, we might consider improve it, but that is
another issues.

NEW queue:

I already asked to FTP-masters what were their problems handling NEW about 3
months ago [1] as a first step to search for a solution as a project, and I am
still waiting for an answer of some of them in that thread.
Anyway, I have read in lists (or blogs?!) they have done some improvements in
their handling of NEW, like now they can have 2 persons working in NEW at the
same time. But this is clearly not enough, Debian does not stop growing.

[1] http://lists.debian.org/debian-project/2009/03/msg00013.html

Ana