Re: DEP: commit rights to dep repositories on alioth

Lars Wirzenius <liw@liw.fi> writes:

> Rationale: DEP texts are not the places were to frantically _develop_
> franticly the actual DEP, but just places where to record the state of
> the art of the proposal, as it has been agreed upon by other means
> (e.g., consensus on mailing list, as we usually do). In the same vein,
> the drivers should usually act just as secretaries for a given
> proposal and it doesn't look like that wide commit access rights are
> needed to that end.
>
> What do other people in the project think?

(In case it matters, I'm not a DD but am a member of the project.)

I think it's quite reasonable to have a DD as the party responsible for
committing DEP revisions, and anyone who wants to affect the process can
either work to gain DD status or gain a working relationship (through
sponsorship of patches) with one.

This is analogous to only allowing package uploads from a DD, and anyone
who wants to contribute packages can either work to gain DD status or
gain a working relationship (through sponsorship of package uploads)
with one.

I think that's a reasonable risk management policy for the power to
upload changes to the canonical repository, whether of packages or DEP
documents.

--
 \     “The illiterate of the future will not be the person who cannot |
  `\      read. It will be the person who does not know how to learn.” |