Re: Who uses @packages.d.o mail?

On Fri 22 May 2009, Stephen Gran wrote:

> So I've looked through a few weeks of mail logs to packages.debian.org,
> and it looks like it collects some useful mail from automated scripts
> on various debian.org machines (primarily ries), and about 1000 spams a
> day from elsewhere.  I haven't done an exhaustive survey, but it seems
> pretty clear so far that the domain does not get any significant amount
> of legitimate mail from machines other than the debian.org hosts.

I have received legitimate email from users of a package sent to
package@packages.debian.org. I thought that was also the main purpose of
those email addresses... They could have looked up the real maintainer
email, but the packages.debian.org thing makes it easier.

I think simply refusing mail with only an image attached would help
against the spam. Certainly all the spam I've received via
packages.debian.org the last couple of months was image spam, mail size
14-19kB.

Paul Slootman