Re: Draft vote on constitutional issues

On Tue, May 12 2009, Wouter Verhelst wrote:

>> > Not possible. You can only override a decision and amending a foundation
>> > document is the previous option.
>>
>> What would you call the vote to ship non-free software in etch? Because
>> that is what I mean. We are agreeing to do something which the
>> foundation document said we would not, but only for a certain period of
>> time (etch).
>>
>> I don't _care_ what you call that, I call it a temporary override of a
>> foundation document.
>
> I think this is the core of the disagreement. I do not call it a
> temporary override of a foundation document; I call it a temporary
> practical consensus between "the needs of our users" and "the needs of
> the free software community".

        I thought we had agreed to adhere to a document that lays out
 how these conflicts between the need of the users and the free software
 pledge we made is to be resolved:

,----
|    5. Works that do not meet our free software standards
|
|       We acknowledge that some of our users require the use of works
|       that do not conform to the Debian Free Software Guidelines. We
|       have created "contrib" and "non-free" areas in our archive for
|       these works.
`----

        As I understand it, we, as a project, have acceoted that there
 is tension between the needs of our users, and the  dictates of free
 software; and the solution we have come up with is called "contrib" and
 "non-free" areas in our archive.

        Isn't that perfectly clear?

        manoj
--