Re: New contact address for the wanna-build team, and other bits

Felipe Sateler <fsateler@gmail.com> writes:

> Adeodato Simó wrote:
>
>> Regarding requests for give-backs, etc., this is the new state of
>> things:
>>
>> * Packages-arch-specific: still bug against â??buildd.debian.orgâ??
>>
>> * Bin-NMUs: still debian-release@lists.debian.org
>>
>> * Chroot problems, package priority issues: still <arch>@buildd.debian.org
>>
>> * Give-backs and dep-waits: debian-wb-team@lists.debian.org
>> (including requests for experimental, but please mark them as such)
>
> What is the difference between give backs and BinNMUs? A give back is a request
> to build again because the first failure was not the package's fault, but
> rather the buildd? I can't seem to find anything on google. An explanation of
> all this terminology (including dep-wait) would be appreciated (hopefully in a
> document explaining why and when would any be needed and how to ask for them).

A give back will reschedule a build. That might be needed because the
buildd screwed up or a apckage got lost between building and
installing in the archive or other things. Give back only works on
packages that have not been installed in the archive.

A dep-wait is when you need a certain other package to be available
before a build should be tried (again). E.g. the old version of
libfoo-dev is buggy and you want to wait for libfoo-dev (>= 1.2-3) to
be available.

A BinNMU is when a package should be rebuild with a new version and
usualy across all archs. Usualy to facilitate some library transition
the source Build-Depends on. This results in +bX to be added to the
version.

MfG
        Goswin