Re: Google Summer of Code 2009 at Debian needs you

* Obey Arthur Liu [Fri, 06 Mar 2009 19:18:57 +0100]:

Hello, Obey, thanks for your answers.

> > Hello, Obey, thanks for pushing this forward. I have a couple questions,
> > not having ever been involved with this.

> >> The important part of the 2009 edition of the Google Summer of Code is
> >> going to start next week with the Organizations application period
> >> (March 9th). By that time, we should have listed a reasonable number of
> >> ideas on the dedicated wiki page[2].

> > Is a list of ideas needed for the application, and/or something that
> > gets evaluated and hence something we need to worry about with some
> > urgency? (There's exactly one week until the organization application
> > period closes AFAICS.)

> The organization is supposed to have a list of ideas, but not
> necessarily exhaustive. Of course, because of the size and importance of
> Debian, we may get away with only a few ideas, but it makes us look bad.

Okay. We (the wanna-build maintainers) will be adding to the wiki at
least one item soon.

> More importantly, there's going to be a big rush of students looking at
> all the ideas list of all the organizations (they will be listed on the
> Google Summer of Code main page). If we have a limited ideas list, we
> may lose the interest of a lot of students, so it is important that we
> have a diversified list of ideas.
> d-d-a should be in order, soon, I think.

Right, good point. Not sure if there're other DDs working closely with
you on this. If you need sponsorship for your eventual post to d-d-a,
feel free to mail me a draft.

> Students send a proposal for each particular project they would want to
> do with their interpretation of the work needed, how they plan to do it,
> their experience, etc.

> Which student gets assigned to each project is a collective decision
> between prospective mentors, admins and interested parties on the Debian
> side. The final student/project pairs are then ranked and the list
> submitted to Google. Google then says: "We're going to fund the first X
> ones in your list".

> About the interviews, they should be done by mentors and admins again
> but the operational process hasn't been laid out yet. We'll figure that
> out when we start getting proposals from students.

This clears up things, thanks. I'm pleased to hear mentors have an
active role in the student assignation process. I think it's only
understandable one would want to take precautions the time spent
mentoring will be time well spent, and the result will be of
satisfactory quality!

Cheers,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org