Re: Google Summer of Code 2009 at Debian needs you

Adeodato Simó a écrit :
> * Obey Arthur Liu [Tue, 03 Mar 2009 00:56:58 +0100]:
>
>> Hi,

Hi,

> Hello, Obey, thanks for pushing this forward. I have a couple questions,
> not having ever been involved with this.
>
>> The important part of the 2009 edition of the Google Summer of Code is
>> going to start next week with the Organizations application period
>> (March 9th). By that time, we should have listed a reasonable number of
>> ideas on the dedicated wiki page[2].
>
> Is a list of ideas needed for the application, and/or something that
> gets evaluated and hence something we need to worry about with some
> urgency? (There's exactly one week until the organization application
> period closes AFAICS.)

The organization is supposed to have a list of ideas, but not
necessarily exhaustive. Of course, because of the size and importance of
Debian, we may get away with only a few ideas, but it makes us look bad.

> I don't think it'll be the case, but if Debian could potentially be left
> out for lack of a good list of ideas, maybe a call to d-d-a would be in
> order? (Just tryin to be cautious here.)

More importantly, there's going to be a big rush of students looking at
all the ideas list of all the organizations (they will be listed on the
Google Summer of Code main page). If we have a limited ideas list, we
may lose the interest of a lot of students, so it is important that we
have a diversified list of ideas.
d-d-a should be in order, soon, I think.

>> Further in the spring:
>> - Mentors, people to review proposals, do interviews
>> - Ideas, Ideas, Ideas for Summer of Code projects
>
> I'd like to hear a bit about this process, and I'd appreciate if you or
> somebody else familiar with the process could answer my questions about
> it.
>
> In particular, as a potential mentor, I'm very interested in hearing how
> a student gets assigned to a project (do they just express interest on
> it? what do those interviews entail and who does them?), and if the
> mentors get any say/opportunity to review/ack the student chosen for
> their projects.

Students send a proposal for each particular project they would want to
do with their interpretation of the work needed, how they plan to do it,
their experience, etc.

Which student gets assigned to each project is a collective decision
between prospective mentors, admins and interested parties on the Debian
side. The final student/project pairs are then ranked and the list
submitted to Google. Google then says: "We're going to fund the first X
ones in your list".

About the interviews, they should be done by mentors and admins again
but the operational process hasn't been laid out yet. We'll figure that
out when we start getting proposals from students.

You may find additional information in my talk at FOSDEM[1] or on the
Google Summer of Code page[2].

I encourage you now to add your ideas to the wiki page[3] and come
discuss your ideas on #debian-soc (oftc).

Cheers

Arthur

[1] <http://meetings-archive.debian.net/pub/debian-meetings/2009/fosdem/>
[2] <http://code.google.com/soc/>