Re: Google Summer of Code 2009 at Debian needs you

* Obey Arthur Liu [Tue, 03 Mar 2009 00:56:58 +0100]:

> Hi,

Hello, Obey, thanks for pushing this forward. I have a couple questions,
not having ever been involved with this.

> The important part of the 2009 edition of the Google Summer of Code is
> going to start next week with the Organizations application period
> (March 9th). By that time, we should have listed a reasonable number of
> ideas on the dedicated wiki page[2].

Is a list of ideas needed for the application, and/or something that
gets evaluated and hence something we need to worry about with some
urgency? (There's exactly one week until the organization application
period closes AFAICS.)

I don't think it'll be the case, but if Debian could potentially be left
out for lack of a good list of ideas, maybe a call to d-d-a would be in
order? (Just tryin to be cautious here.)

> Further in the spring:
> - Mentors, people to review proposals, do interviews
> - Ideas, Ideas, Ideas for Summer of Code projects

I'd like to hear a bit about this process, and I'd appreciate if you or
somebody else familiar with the process could answer my questions about
it.

In particular, as a potential mentor, I'm very interested in hearing how
a student gets assigned to a project (do they just express interest on
it? what do those interviews entail and who does them?), and if the
mentors get any say/opportunity to review/ack the student chosen for
their projects.

Thanks in advance,

Adeodato Simó                                     dato at net.com.org.es
Debian Developer                                  adeodato at debian.org

- Why are you whispering?
- Because I just think that no matter where she is, my mom can hear this
  conversation.
                -- Rory and Lane