Re: Discussion: Possible GR: Enhance requirements for General Resolutions

On Tue Dec 30 09:31, Russ Allbery wrote:
> Ben Finney <ben+debian@benfinney.id.au> writes:
>
> > I think it can be a good idea to propose an option that one wants to
> > see voted on, especially if one honestly thinks that option could
> > represent the opinion of other people in the vote.
>
> This is what I disagree with for all the reasons that I already stated
> (and which I won't reiterate again).  The formal proposal is essentially
> the first second towards putting it on the ballot.  If you don't actually
> agree with the proposal, I don't think you should be doing either.

I'd also add that sometimes it seems like a good idea to make sure that
an opinion which has been voiced but not yet proposed is there so you
can demonstrate that the project really doesn't want it and you can cite
this next time it's raised rather than have the possible ambiguity. Note
that I don't think that's a good reason to call a vote, but to propose
an amendment... maybe.

Matt
--
Matthew Johnson