Re: Discussion: Possible GR: Enhance requirements for General Resolutions

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008, Joerg Jaspert wrote:
> Therefore the Debian project resolves that
>  a) The constitution gets changed to not require K developers to sponsor
>     a resolution, but floor(2Q). [see §4.2(1)]
>  b) Delaying a decision of a Delegate or the DPL [§4.2(2.2)],
>     as well as resolutions against a shortening of discussion/voting
>     period or to overwrite a TC decision [§4.2(2.3)] requires floor(Q)
>     developers to sponsor the resolution.
>  c) the definition of K gets erased from the constitution. [§4.2(7)]

Whatever we decide to do should specifically modify the constitution;
that is

a) §4.2.1 is replaced with "The Developers follow the Standard
Resolution Procedure, below. A resolution or amendment is introduced
if proposed by any Developer and sponsored by at least floor(2Q) other
Developers, or if proposed by the Project Leader or the Technical
Committee."

b) §4.2.2.2 is replaced with "If such a resolution is sponsored by at
least floor(Q) Developers, or if it is proposed by the Technical
Committee, the resolution puts the decision immediately on hold
(provided that resolution itself says so)."

etc.

I'd also suggest alternatively, that we change K to be floor(Q), and
modify §4.2.1 to be 2K, §4.2.2.2 to be K, and §4.2.2.3 to be left
alone, which would have the same effect, but with fewer changes (and
we could define floor(Q) instead of assuming it to be known.)

Because quorum is 3Q, this would mean that any option will have enough
voters to conceivably win in an election. [I would also be ok with
K==1.5Q, and requiring at least K developers for each step.]

All that said, I'd be interested in seeing such a change made.[1]

Don Armstrong

1: I'd be happier, though, if those proposing and seconding options
would be more careful about the effects that their options may have,
and be more vigilant about withdrawing options when more palletable
options exist. You should not be proposing or seconding an option that
you don't plan on ranking first.
--
This message brought to you by weapons of mass destruction related
program activities, and the letter G.