Re: Spamming the World through Open Debian Mailinglists (Re: lists.debian.org has received bounces from you)

On Sat, Dec 27, 2008 at 03:31:45AM -0800, Don Armstrong wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Dec 2008, Jeroen Massar wrote:
> > And having to sign up every once in a while to a Debian list is
> > really annoying because you get kicked off because you are
> > forwarding spam.
> If you don't want to deal with the occasional spam that gets through,
> then feel free to unsubscribe. Furthemore, the thresholds for
> automatic unsubscription are set fairly high anyway; the warning
> messages we send out are for your information only, as they often
> indicate mail misconfigurations at your end (or rarely, at ours.)

They don't contain much information and don't talk about thresholds
though I haven't seen any for a while having successfully taught dspam
about them.

> > And yes, my SMTP server and those of a lot of other people will
> > CORRECTLY refuse to accept mail classified as spam and correctly
> > give a 500 SMTP error code as the server will refuse to deliver it.
> If you sign up for mail from mailing lists, just discard mail that you
> don't want to read that comes in from us with Priority: bulk or List-*
> headers instead of bouncing it. A mailing list is little more than a
> glorified mail forwarder: bouncing forwarded mail is wrong.

This is the part I don't really understand.

You're in an amazing position.  You have thousands of people who have
potentially better spam filtering systems than you do bouncing mail they
think is spam at you.

If you count per message-ID who bounces which mails you could improve
your filters based on some threshold of how many people bounced that
mail.  Especially given you do process bounces automatically via your
script that cause the original post.

Instead, masochistically you send out contentless pings that your
subscribers dislike.  I don't get it.

--
 _        huggie@earth.li      -+*+-     fou, con et anglais      _
(_)             "ACT NORMAL!  ACT NORMAL!!" - Homer              (_)