Re: Re: Re: Voting on messages: a way to resolve the mailing listproblems

Hi Charles,
Le Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 01:31:31AM -0500, Filipus Klutiero a écrit :
> A long exchange between two people can be interesting, or not.

Hi Filipus,

it is exactly because it can not be known if a long exchange is interesting
before reading it that tools to ignore long exchanges can be useful. The mere
action of deleting tons of cross-posted fragmented threads is time-consuming,
expecially for people like me who read -devel as a digest and -vote as regular
subscription (hidden message to some posters: I beg, implore and supplicate you
to stop cross-posting).
I don't really understand your point. I don't see why a long exchange between 2 people would be more fragmented than an equally large thread with no particular thread pattern.
If a long exchange is interesting, then it can be summarised. If no summary is
made, then the exchange was probably anecdotical.
I tend to skip reading threads on proposals when I can see they generated several changes, but that's independent from the "shape" of the thread, my tendency to skip just increases with the number of posts. The lack of summary on a large thread with x posts is as bad to me as the lack of summary on a long exchange between two people with x posts. If anything, I'd probably prefer the long exchange since it requires less context switches.