Re: Voting on messages: a way to resolve the mailing list problems

On Sun, Dec 21, 2008 at 01:49:44AM +0000, Anthony Towns wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 20, 2008 at 10:35:14AM +0000, Jurij Smakov wrote:
> > * "Vocal minority" dominates "silent majority" by contributing a
> > disproportionate amount of list traffic, [...]
>
> Note that voting can have a similar drawback -- in that if you've got
> enough like-minded people voting for a particular viewpoint (eg, "Joe
> Random sucks, give him what for!") people with a different viewpoint
> (eg, "stop berating people, argh") aren't going to bother voting ("the
> score's already +50, why bother with a -1?"). This seems to happen on
> digg a fair bit. Probably someting to be aware of.

It is a good point, however the original idea was only supposed to
address the issue of rude/offensive/inflammatory/useless posts on the
lists (at least, that was my impression), not provide a voting forum
for particular viewpoints. Thus, it would be wrong for people to vote
down valid, constructive posts, expressing the opinions which they
happen to disagree with. Of course, there are multiple ways to abuse
this system, so the results should be taken with a grain of salt,
that's why I would like to avoid getting involved in the
interpretation, at least for now.

Best regards,
--
Jurij Smakov                                           jurij@wooyd.org