Re: Linux System Engineer (100%) in Zurich

martin f krafft writes:

> also sprach W. Martin Borgert <debacle@debian.org> [2008.11.25.2017 +0100]:
>> I would very much appreciate, if Debian would not publish job
>> offers that discriminate on the grounds of race, ethnic origin,
>> disability, age, gender, sexual orientation or religion. Not
>> only it is illegal in some countries, I find it highly
>> inappropriate for our project. Thanks for your attention.
>
> Wolfgang, please stop this. Putting a maximum age into a job
> description is standard practice because a company does not want to
> invest time and money into a new employee for various reasons, be
> they simple age and thus time left to work for the company,
> absorptive capacity, or company culture.

It may be standard practice in some places, and legal under the
applicable laws in this case.  However, Wolfgang is right.  This kind
of age limit has been illegal in the United States for 40 years.
Wikipedia has a summary at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_Discrimination_in_Employment_Act .

I am rather surprised that the majority reaction to this is so
different from the majority reaction to a poorly executed satire --
something which was also claimed to be discriminatory.

Michael Poole